Friday, February 5, 2010

Our public schools

My 8th grade daughter, who sports a GPA of around 3.7 consistently, failed a math test - Algebra.   She said 70% of the class failed - yes, 70%! She knew the number because the teacher told them.  That means, obviously, only 30% passed.  On top of it, she had been doing her homework and receiving full credit for it!  I asked "how can this be? you do the homework, but then fail the test?!"  She then informed me that none of their homework is graded.  The get credit based on whether or not they do it, no matter if it is done correctly or not.  So, she may have been not understanding for weeks prior to the test, but was never corrected because noone was looking at her problem-solving. 

I keep thinking about this, and it just blows my mind.  I simply don't understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting!

How many totally awesome people have visited?