Saturday, April 9, 2011

Health Insurance

As I've mentioned, I have been off work since November and on state disability.  I had hurt my knee when I was carrying my daughter.  After treatment for my knee, my back was really hurting from all the limping and using crutches.  To make a long story short, I have 2 herniated disks in my low back and one is impinging on a nerve root.  This is causing pain, numbness, and reflex loss in my right leg.  I also have a bad disk in my neck causing random numbness in my arms.  As a nurse performing patient care, I need to be able to trust my body.  Especially in the emergency room, you never know what is going to happen. 

For the first 3 months I was on a protected leave from work.  Meaning my job was protected and I paid a subsidized rate for my health insurance.  This amounted to $545 a month.  It was a burden, but doable.  Yesterday I opened the health insurance bill from my employer to find an amount due of $2400.  I was sure it was a mistake, so I called.  WELL....not a mistake.  Turns out my protected leave ended on 3/1/2011 and now I'm on a personal leave.  Thus, they don't even  have to provide me a job when i return to work.  Also, my health insurance is no longer subsidized.  The cost is now $1700/month.  Whoa....that is not doable.  I panicked, called my doctor, told them I have to go back to work.  I have a child with diabetes, I can't be without insurance!  I have yet to hear if my doctor is going to release me.  I applied for 2 "sit down" type jobs and made frantic phone calls.  I spent the rest of the afternoon feeling like a complete failure. 

Last night I did some snooping around on the computer and found that I should be able to insure the kids through the Healthy Families program.  Here is the income qualifying chart.  Our income level places us in category B on this chart.  When I go to this page, category B shows a monthly premium of $39-$48, depending on plan choice.  I'm not sure if that is per child or what.  I'll be calling on Monday.  I haven't been able to find anything to cover DH and I.  So, I will have to find out how much my necessary medications are without insurance (Insulin). 

This morning I feel more calm about it all and realize it isn't the end of the world.  I will also be doing some research on purchasing our own insurance.  For those that attend church regularly, Samaritan Ministries is an interesting option. 

Any advice?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting!

How many totally awesome people have visited?